Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11

It's 9-11 today. Where were you 8 years ago?? Do you remember what you were doing when you saw the news or heard about the plane hitting the World Trade Center? I had just woken up for seminary my junior year, and was watching the news. My mom was in the sewing room working. I turned on the news and they were just showing recaps of the plane hitting. My mind was in a daze trying to figure out if I was dreaming. This is huge to have a plane crash into both WTC's and the Pentagon!!!!!! This was the beginning of another war, when we already had troops out in Iraq... this was the beginning to several men and women dedicating their lives to helping to serve our country, some of them not making it back alive... some coming back injured for the rest of their lives...

I remember going to seminary and being one of the few students who knew about it. My sister Sara was going to school with me that day (she graduated when I was a freshman), as she wanted to see her choir teacher (who was my choir teacher). By the time I got to school, kids were just learning about the crash. In 1st hour I had history. 2nd hour I had Geometry, and by 3rd hour it was prep. I knew when I walked into 3rd hour that we would be dismissing early. A good portion of the students at our school lived on base (Luke Air Force) and they would be locking it up. Therefore, come 10 min into 3rd period prep, the intercom came on and the principal said that the buses would be here to pick us up, get rides home from parents, and go home. The rest is history. I remember going to choir after school let out and meeting Sara, and my choir teacher had just learned that she had lost a family member as a result of the crash. To see her break down and not know how to console her was hard...

9-11..... A day I'll always remember..... A day that will make the history books when our kids enter school.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was getting ready to go to class (college) when I saw the live feed (of course it was rebroadcasting, but it was live for us). I found out that a girl that I sung with in Chamber Singers lost her father (he worked at the Pentagon) so we all came and sang at his memorial service...it was so sad! I had my students have a moment of silence this morning for the anniversary.