Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Eventful weekend

If any of you are friends with me on facebook, you'll have learned that I was in a car accident over the weekend. I was in the Honda with Hunter and McKenna in the backseat, with Ian in front of me and his dad following me. Ian had already merged on and I was checking my lanes. I saw that a black car was moving from the #2 lane into the #3 lane (far right). To avoid side swiping him, I pulled onto the shoulder. For some reason, I ended up fishtailing and couldn't get a hold of the car, and smashed head on into the concrete divider that divides East and Westbound lanes of the freeway. Luckily the car stopped and didn't break through the concrete. For some reason the black car didn't stop or even slow down. Ian and his dad both saw me swerve out of control and crash so they pulled onto the shoulder and ran across traffic to help me out. I put the car into park, turned it off, and then climbed out. I had 2 drivers that were headed Westbound that stopped, jumped the median and helped me out of the car. Then the guy put me on the other side of the concrete with his wife while he got Hunter out. Ian, in the meantime, was able to carefully get McKenna out. Police were already there and so were the firefighters. They began to check me out, they put a neck brace on me, and then waited for the ambulance for a backboard. Ian's grandma came up since she had stayed home, and she proceeded to call Ian's grandpa since he had left 15 min before us to go get Ian's uncle to help us move. They came back up the hill and helped with the clean up. When the ambulance arrived, they put me on a backboard, then put me on a stretcher. They loaded me into the ambulance and loaded Hunter in as well since she had seat belt abrasions.

Ian and his dad stayed behind to give a police report since they saw everything and I had blacked out and couldn't remember. They waited for his grandpa and uncle to get there and clean out the car since Ian and his dad were busy talking to authorities. The tow truck came out and towed the car, then Ian and his dad loaded up McKenna and headed over to the hospital. I was checked out for a sprained shoulder, wrist, bruises, back and neck pain, and was released 5 hours later with a prescription for Vikadon.

We called the insurance when we got home and filed the report. Luckily we're covered for rental car coverage with nothing out of pocket, car seat reimbursement (which will save us $200 since we have to replace them), and they'll pay off the damage total of the car. Since this number happens to be more than what the payoff value was (the remainder of the loan), then we'll get a check for the difference. They're also going to send us to a car dealership that deals with Progressive clients like us that have no car and no job. They will help us to find a car and get a loan. This way we'll be able to get a small enough percentage APR to pay the car off faster, so we're out of debt faster.

Will post pictures tonight. We're all okay. The car has been totaled due to the damage, but we walked away with just scrapes, bruises, and a bit of pain. I thank you for all your prayers. I love you all and I'm grateful that the Lord was watching out for me and the girls, and kept us from any physical SERIOUS harm. The car is replaceable; that's just a possession. However, Ian can't replace Hunter, McKenna or me.... I had a long prayer that night to the Lord giving him my thanks for keeping us safe from harm. It made me realize how fast life can change....

Until next time....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh. my. goodness...somehow I missed all of that on facebook...I am so glad that everyone is okay...that is so scary!